Monday 10 March 2014

KCQ's


Hi all, these are my questions for LVMH's financial statements.

 

Areas i had difficulty understanding: There are many areas I have difficulty understanding!

  • What are equity based financial instruments? The statements says they are used to enhance the dynamic management of investment portfolio.
  • The term 'voting rights' is used quite a lot, no idea what this means?
  • Organic revenue growth? LVMH has nothing to do with agriculture so what does organic mean in terms of revenue growth?

Areas of business that seem important or critical:

  • Marketing I think is a big one, it seems LVMH has spent over 10849 million euros on marketing in 2013!

Key challenges:

  • There are various contingent liabilities that concern brand rights, protection of property rights, set up of selective retailing networks, licencing agreements, employee relations, tax audits and more.

  • In 2012 and 2013 revenue has dropped (lowest in 2012). Exchange rates and market performance seem to pose a problem in some areas as well because LVMH is worldwide.

Apparent strategy in meeting these issues:

  • The financial statements mention the 'value creation strategy' in several places. It involves selling the highest quality products for more money and taking up less space than if they were selling a poorer quality (cheaper) product. The strategy increases revenue and therefore equity and the overall net worth of the firm. This will in turn protect the company from being impacted harshly from bad market performance and currency exchange rates.
Success in meeting challenges:

  • LVMH believes that provisions on the balance sheet are enough to avoid its consolidated net worth being materially impacted in the event of a negative outcome.
  • The 'value creation strategy' seems to be having a positive effect, with revenue increasing from  over 16 million euros in 2012 to over 18 million euros in 2013. 

Even though many of the financial statements appear very different at first glance they all cover the 5 elements of accounting: assets; expenses; equity; revenue and liabilities. The financial information for some companies is very long, LVMH documents are 72 pages for 2013 whereas for other companies they are very short. I had a look through a few of the different company documents and one of them was only two pages for 2013! Overall they are presented in much the same way regarding the things that they cover, some just go much more in depth than others. I am happy with my company, at first I wished I had one that I was more familiar with such as an Australian based business or an airline as I would be more familiar with what they do. Initially I was very concerned about the length of my firm's financial documents but as I am looking into my company more I am realising that all businesses keep track of their finances in much the same way. As I learn more about reading the financial information I am able to sort through which information is relevant and which is not and this has eased my mind a great deal. The concerns I have right now is my understanding of the content in this course, when I look at what some people are writing about I don’t have a clue and the terminology that is used I am finding very confusing! I am hoping that some people are just ahead of me in the course and I am yet to learn what they write about! Does anyone else feel this way?

16 comments:

  1. Hi Melanie

    I can relate to feeling like I am so far behind in this course, terminology & understanding wise! It's a lot to learn and remember.

    Also, I'm really interested in your work for this assignment. I used to work for LVMH.. I have a bit of company envy right now!

    Good luck with the rest of your course.

    Stacey
    http://staceyaccounting.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacey,
      Wow, that would be my dream job!
      I had a look at your blog, I've commented on it and it looks great :-)
      Melanie

      Delete
  2. Hi Melanie,

    I too struggle to understand the accounting lingo. I'm going through my Annual Report atm and I'm feeling very uneasy. I feel like I'm reading another language.
    Hopefully it'll get easier as we go on! Just know you're not alone:)

    Nicole
    nicolemedd.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole :-) I've had a look and commented on your blog... looks great!
      Melanie

      Delete
  3. Hi all,
    Check the back of your annual reports, there is often a glossary there that explains what those terms mean in relation to that company. I also had trouble understanding it all but I started keeping a copy of the glossary beside me when going through the financial reports and now I find it a lot easier.

    Cheers,
    Ben
    http://bensassignment1blog.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ben, Thanks for your tip... I cant seem to find a glossary though, oh well. I had a look at your blog... Looks great I've actually added you as one of my top 3 :-) Good luck with the rest of the course.
      Melanie

      Delete
  4. Hi Melanie,

    I wonder if the Legal proceedings and the marketing expenses of $19,000,000 were somewhat connected?

    If some of the legal proceedings were in relation to "brand rights" this could be the case.

    Cheers

    Aisyah

    http://aisyahmaskiell2014.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aisyah,

      The financial records states that there are legal proceedings concerning

      "Brand rights". Probably a silly question but how would marketing

      expenses and brand rights be connected?

      Delete
    2. Hi Melanie,

      The brand of the company is a part of its over all marketing strategy. The marketing department creates the brand, ensures the brand longevity and awareness. If there are any conflicts regarding the "brand", it may be listed as a marketing expense. I'm not saying it definitely is but it could be.

      Also, I guess due to the nature of the business they are in, having $19 million in marketing expenses could be normal? I guess you would need to compare it to other companies in the same industry.

      I hope some of that made sense. Just thinking out loud here. :-)

      Delete
    3. Hi Aisyah,
      Thankyou for your explanation, it makes perfect sense... Just a thought... if they have money to pay out due to legal expenses and list that money as a marketing expense would they be able to claim tax back on it as a company expense I wonder? Something to ponder anyway, lol. :-)

      Delete
  5. Hi Melanie,
    As far as I understand it, organic revenue growth is growth that occurs within a company, not reliant on anything external, eg a merger with another company. I suppose it is called organic growth as it is 'natural - with nothing added'.

    Hope this helps
    Rebecca :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca, Thankyou... Makes perfect sense! All this accounting lingo isn't so scary once you start to understand it :-)
      Good luck with the rest of your course.

      Delete
  6. Great progress on your blog Melanie!
    I am too finding it hard to get my head around the terminology and the amount of time that has been spent just to get this far. I also am in the final stages of completing Step 2. Peerwise is my form of 'learning'. It keeps refreshing my mind with the content that I have just read, or read in the last few weeks. Just have to remember not to spend too much time on there and more time with the rest of the elements in this course! ;)
    Marketing is a crucial element for most if not all businesses. 10 849 Million on LVMH's advertising alone - WOW!
    Cheers
    Ivona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ivona,
      Thankyou for you comment... I agree a lot of time spent on this! I'm afraid I've been neglecting peer wise a bit lately, I plan to spend some time on there this afternoon to catch up! Good luck with your studies :-)
      Melanie

      Delete
  7. Great blog! great KCQs also!

    ReplyDelete